Hey, BRIN Runners! Did you know June 11 is National Corn on the Cob Day? We know how healthy corn is and wanted to share a corn recipe from our incredible community partner, No More Empty Pots!
No More Empty Pots (NMEP) is a grassroots non-profit organization connecting individuals and groups to improve self-sufficiency, regional food security, and economic resilience of urban and rural communities through advocacy and action. NMEP strives to support communities in becoming self-sufficient and food secure through collaboration and adherence to our core values of: education, stewardship, and sustainability.
Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder Recipe
4 cups sweet corn
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces of cremini, button or your favorite mushroom
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (medium), peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
1⁄2 medium onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
4 cups veggie broth
2 cups water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 cup full fat coconut milk
1⁄2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika powder
1⁄2 tablespoon thyme, chopped
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
Salt to taste
Spring onion or chives, chopped (optional for topping)
- Heat a large nonstick pot over medium heat. Once warm, sauté the mushrooms and garlic until mushrooms are soft. Stir often to prevent sticking.
- In a large pot, bring mushroom, garlic, onion, potatoes, carrots, and veggie broth to a boil over high heat.
- Add in seasoning paprika, thyme, black pepper and salt. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in corn. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the milk.
- Add the cornstarch slurry (use 2 cups of water mixed with cornstarch to make the slurry). Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until just slightly thickened. If it takes a while, raise heat to assist the thickening process.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with Spring onions or chives.
Local producer recommendations:
*When produce is in-season*
Sweet Corn – Farm Table Procurement and Delivery (Harlan, IA)
Garlic – Benson Bounty (Omaha, NE)
Mushrooms – Flavor Country Farms (Honey Creek, IA)
Celery – City Sprouts (Omaha, NE)
Carrots – Wolff Farms (Norfolk, NE)
About Chef Meya Hill: Meya Hill has always had a passion for cooking food, so she knew her calling in life was to become a chef. She graduated in 2019 from the No More Empty Pots Culinary Workforce Training Program and is currently enrolled at the Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts to continue learning and mastering the craft of cooking. At No More Empty Pots, Meya transitioned from student to Production Assistant then an instructor when she became the Culinary Certificate Program Coordinator, a position she still holds today.
“One of my favorite things about corn is it carries a myth that it’s not healthy, but corn has the ability to make you full which can greatly assist you in weight loss! The key to any food is not to consume in excess. Corn is also rich in vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps protect your cells from damage and wards off diseases like cancer and heart disease. Please make this recipe your own, fill your soul and belly with good food. Have fun and enjoy!”
Learn More about No More Empty Pots
The mission of No More Empty Pots is to connect individuals and groups to improve self-sufficiency, regional food security and economic resilience of urban and rural communities through advocacy and action. www.nmepomaha.org | firstname.lastname@example.org